Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The High and Mighty Abang Seniors..

I was still drowsy when answering a mid-night phone call last night...

I thought I did not want to share this story with my blogger friends..but after giving much thought and may be some of you have brilliant suggestions on how to solve this problem,so I am giving it a go.It is not my intention to put a shame on any parties...but this is more on putting things on the right track.

Alright.. back to that mid-night call.Well, it was not a crank call or emergency call that involves a matter of life and death.It was just a call from my youngest permata who is now studying at one of MARA Junior Science Colleges in Malacca.

When I discovered the call was from him,several questions popped up on my mind...

First,what is he doing lurking around the school compound at 5 minutes to mid-night?

Second,why isn't he in bed at this hour?

Third, does the hostel have a curfew time?

Fourth, where are the wardens?

Fifth, what time is the "lights-out"?.....and the list goes on...


Normally, he would call in the evening,almost daily, to report to me on his activities.But last night he called me at 5 minutes to midnight.His voice did not get through very clearly and a few times I had to insist him to speak louder.It was as if he was hiding something and didn't want anybody to hear the conversation,as if it was supposed to be a secret call and if somebody found out he would face the music..

After urging him a few times, I finally heard him saying " Ma, Ijat kena ragging dengan abang senior...".Then the line stopped dead...

My response...First ,I am mad.If that abang senior were in front of me I would definitely squeeze him.

Second, of course I could not avoid the guilty feeling..here I was snuggling comfortably on my bed in my air-cond room while my son was still out in the night kena ragging..
Mothers...how would you feel???
I woke up several times last night thinking about my son and even the whole day today I couldnt focus on my work.And this is not his first time kena ragging...

At 2:30 pm just now he called me again to reveal the rest of the story...

After prep at 11:00pm last night ,one high and mighty abang senior stopped him and asked him to go to the cafeteria and buy nasi lemak.Why was the cafeteria still operating at that time of the night in the school compound I would not know..So, my son did as ordered.However ,instead of buying nasi lemak ,he bought nasi goreng for abang senior.Then, instead of sending the nasi goreng to abang senior himself, he asked his friend to do so..

Of course abang senior turned mad because his order was not up to his expectation.So abang senior took hold of my son and asked him to buy nasi lemak and this time using my son's money...My poor son didnt have much choice but to go and buy another one.That was why he was still up and about at almost 12: 00 mid-night...

Before he left,abang senior asked my son to see him again tonight to buy him nasi lemak using my son's money..He warned that if my son does not obey his orders,he is going to "tumbuk" my son...

So my son called me just now to ask my opinion..should he or should he not buy nasi lemak for abang senior tonight.

No...I told my son, do not buy for him and if he "tumbuk"(that was the word he used),make sure there is a witness.I am going to see how far this abang senior the great going to bully my son and the rest of the form ones...If there is a mark on his face,I definitely going to the school tomorrow.

This nonsense, stupid and good- for- nothing thing should be stopped.I thought this bully and ragging culture has stopped long time ago.

My eldest was in MRSM too, but this bully culture is never practised.Infact,he was happy through out his five-year stay in that particular MRSM.

My daughter is now in boarding school too and she never complains of anything.Infact their routine is at 11:00 pm the lights must be switched off and before they go to sleep they have to recite Surah 'Al Mulk'. No stress..and no tension..


Of course no food business operated at night.Dewan makan closed after dinner that is 8 pm...

But what is happening in my son's college is something to be questioned.This is a school,a boarding school infact.The activities of the boarders must be carefully planned,monitored and supervised by the wardens.They should not be let loose..what more to still be out at midnight.Their day-time schedule is very packed and if they are still out at mid-night how they are going to get enough sleep to be able to function the next day???

These abang seniors also shouted bodoh,bangang if what being asked is not perform well.Infact they wrote fucking dirty words too on my son's and his friend's lockers?What ...vandalism at boarding school???It must be stopped!!!

Or maybe because this particular MRSM is in an army camp..and the army culture and practices seem to influence the mood and the environment in that college, which I think is not conducive and healthy at all.

If worse comes to worse ,I might take him out from that particular college.Let's wait and see.

Mummy dearest's head is brewing now..with the car gone..and now constant disturbance from these abang seniors.

If you were my students abang seniors, you would definitely be in hot soup for giving me this headache!



11 comments:

ibu,mommy,mom... said...

Hi Madam Gold
Firstly I am sorry to read that your youngest permata is facing this.
I for one dont agree on bullying apa lagi ragging.Tak kiralah in boarding school ke,regular national school or private and international school.
This must stop.
I hope you find a solution in this matter ya

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks ibu..
My son called this evening and said that he bought the nasi lemak for abng senior with his own money for fear that abang senior will tumbuk him..
So I called the Ketua warden and reported the matter..he would look into the matter.
The thing is the juniors are too afraid to bring up the matter to the wardens or teachers.Some of them are bullied to wash and iron the seniors' clothes.
This kind of thing must stop before it spreads and becomes a "culture"...
Kadang2 kita tak faham mentality org2 kita ni..tak berkembang langsung.Zaman2 doul2 boleh lah ragging 2 ni.
By right these seniors should act like big bro,make these adik2 feel welcomed and secured since they are are new to the place and maybe homesick ,create a warmth environment for them.Ni tidak depa nak tunjuk kuasa..

Al-Manar said...

madam,

I am truly sorry to hear this at a MRSM. My wonder is always the role the warden or whoever in charge, for that matter the principal.
I am somewhat happy that all my first four grandboys have refused to be enticed into any boarding school. They simply want VI and that is where they are, happy with a good mix of intelligent boys.

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks Pak Cik..
Like you, I am surprised too ,because this bullying never happen in my Along's previous MRSM.Maybe because that MRSM is still new and the stupid culture does not exist for the new students to inherit.
I am thinking of taking my boy out too if this thing continues or if possible transfer him to another MRSM .But we are not so lucky here since there is no good school which is of the same level as VI.The city folks are luckier than we are over here.

ibu,mommy,mom... said...

Salam Madam Gold...Just so you know you have a shoulder to cry on.
Good that you called the warden and report the situation and I REALLY hope the warden will look into the situation betul betul.
Ya i am speechless too with the mentality of this people....Are we going to have future generations of bullies?No wonder la in this world there are so many criminal coz dari sekolah dah start training.
I hope you tak terasa hati with my comment ye.
I love the idea of a boarding school because I saw first hand how it made one of my family member turned out to be.Very discipline and very cekap in all areas of her living skills.

Tak boleh ke youngest permata masuk Mrsm yang his brother went to?You have good feelings of the other mrsm kan?

Seriously hope this thing will settle quickly ,kesian kat your youngest permata and rakan rakan dia yang kena bully jugak

mamasita said...

MG..go straight to the boarding school jumpa pengetua and guru disiplin..get that abang senior and your son face to face..tengok abang senior tu terkencing dalam seluar ke tak!
Wah..ekk betul senior bully juniors yea..

Memorable trails... said...

Ibu..and Datin,
On d first day ,the pengetua said that he only heard rumours abt this bullying but no laporan ..And now I ve made a report n see what the school will do abt it.
Imagine form one students kena basuh sampai dua baldi baju abang seniors lepas prep pukul 11 mlm.Then bila dia nak basuh baju sendiri???My kid kena cari maggi pukul 12 mlm sbb abng senior lapar..terpaksalah dia move from one block to another cari walaupun takut sbb compound tu terlalu bnyk monyet liar..but I think monyet pun dah tidur kul 12 mlm kan cuma these abg seniors yg insane je yang paksa buat kerja bodoh..
Tulah hubby tengah usaha for transfering to another MRSM..
These form kids are too afraid to make reports actually..dia orng akan diejek n digelar Mat Pot..

Unknown said...

Dear Madam Gold

I am so sorry to hear about your son. Thank you for sharing so openly. Sadness shared is divided and I hope you are feeling better.

I pray things will work out for your cahaya mata yang termuda and that the Almighty will pave a way for him out of this situation.

Take care and know that I also cried my eyes out when my older boy went away....

All the best to you and yours.

Salam

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for the visit masterwordsmith,
Son is getting happier and a bit cheerful.Either bullying problem is solved or he is getting tougher these days.When son is happy,mommy is happy too...

DrSam said...

salam madam. glad to know that your son (and his mommy) managed to cope well with the situation. I have no experience so far with my son being bullied by the seniors. But now he himself is becoming a senior I am worried and hoping that he won't become one.

Memorable trails... said...

This is our first doc.His bro n sis never face such problem.Glad that I made a report the other day.Matters are under control..
And one of the seniors dah kena buang pun..due to lots of cases...
These kids they just couldnt think what is best for them..