Sunday, March 15, 2009

In dilemma..

It has been raining cats and dogs since last night.I thought of just curling on a sofa the whole day today and finishing my latest paperback P/s I love you by Cecilia Ahern.However, early morning call from Along changed my plan for the day.He just got back from Pontian after an inter- MRSM rugby competition and now asking his mommy driver to pick him up.The last time I saw Along was during the Chinese New Year.
Although his hostel is only about an hour s drive,driving in the misty rain and slippery road with lots of bends and twists is quite a challenge and could tire me easily.Nevertheless,I reached his hostel an hour later but to locate him was another problem.The place was so ghostly and quiet since everybody has left for home except for the rugby players.I waited for him at the square for almost 30 minutes before I saw him coming out from Musalla.My..my..my..he looked so dark that I could easily mistaken him for someone else!When he walked closer, another surprise for me.. a cut on his eyelid.
The whole journey back was spent on discussing how he is doing at school and in the rugby team.I could sense that he was feeling very,very tired and maybe had enough of rugby for this year.I planned to ask him to cut down his sports activities since I thought he has already met that 10% entrance requirement to the varsity.But I was totally mistaken.He told me that he is being selected to represent MRSM ,the east zone to compete with the premier KPM boarding schools, which includes the MCKK,SDAR etc..etc..There will be a centralized training in Kuala Terengganu from April to June.That is 3 months!This means more trainings, more cuts and bruises and less time spent on studies.Now what should mommy dearest say?Go ahead dear with your rugby or nope..you have had enough of rugbies and it is time for you to settle down and work on your 10 A1??
According to along, this is the first time they have such competition, between MRSM and the KPM boarding schools.The MRSM students have been labelled Ayam Daging by one of the top people of KPM.To prove that they are not ,the director of MRSM decides to have this competition.
Definitely along is so eager to be part of the team but the final decision is still up to me.To him this is a rare opportunity and he promised that he would not let this interfere with his studies.Of course he will be attending classes while training but in different classroom,different environment and with different teachers.Can he make the most out of it, I do not know.
To allow or not to allow..mommy dearest is cracking her head now...

6 comments:

DrSam said...

We are having the same dilemma too here. My son is also playing rugby for his college. Lately I can see he is struggling very hard to cope with both his extra and his study. As I can see his passion in the game, I don't really want to put him off. If I were in his shoe, I will be very frustrated too.

Since he still got 1+ more year for his big exam, I will observe and follow his progress closely.

Probably my son's will play against you sons school in that tournament :)

Wishing them all the best!

Memorable trails... said...

Maybe they will meet each other.My son used to play cricket in primary school which I think a less dangerous game.But since his college does not offer cricket,he switched to rugby.

Unknown said...

my point of view..
ckp ngan along..at this time..xperlu lah dulu join.coz it takes 3 mth..bkn sebulan tu.rugby tu dia blh join bile masuk uni nnt. bkn ape takut dia nyesal x sudah nnt kalo effect dia nye result.kalo ok xpe, but if not?..he can continue watever he like rugby ke kriket ke hape ke kat uni nnt..
anyway, the decisions is yours..

:-) BUSU

Nong said...

About ten years ago I was in the same boat as you are right now. Always in a dilemma when it comes to children’s priorities. My girl then in STF was very active in basketball and the band. The boy in Sek Sains Taiping was active too in soccer until he broke his arm and grounded, just in time for the SPM. Between me and hubby, we didn’t really force them to quit activities but thought them to balance their time. Alhamdulillah, both scored all A’s in their subjects, each went to their preferred U and have a good career. I am proud of them and believe that they too want to succeed. I was active too during my schooling days and my parents were worried sick too.

As parents, we want to do the best for our children. We hope that they know what they want, nothing is holding them back or create obstacles. Like them, we have our priorities too. If we want to wait for children to become older for us to do the things that we want to do, then we’ll have to wait forever…

I am combining my comments for your last entry as well as this one :)

.paiz. said...

hmm.. from a teenager`s view..i think u should let him go. we,teens are eager to try something new and i could say that he seems pretty excited for this tournament. since he promised not to neglect his study then i think u should try give him a chance. haha.. my parent always do that. a try out for everything.

Kak Teh said...

Madam Gold, that's a difficult one. When my son wanted to take up silat, I worried about the kicks and the rough and tumble. So far, Alhamdulillah.
All the best to your son!