Monday, March 2, 2009

Happiness is a journey not a destination

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother, what will I be
Will I be pretty,will I be rich
Here's what she said to me..
Que sera sera..
What ever will be will be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera sera
What will be will be

This melodious tune featured in The Doris Day Show has always been my favourite since I was a little naive girl.Exactly like the beautiful lyric,I would be wondering and dreaming wildly of my unseen future.But one thing for sure I always convinced myself that my path of life would reach its destination where happiness awaited me.

More often than not,we will always tell ourselves that our lives will be complete after we finished our studies and gotten married to a wonderful husband whom we always imagine a transformed hero from Harlequin Romance or Mills and Boons.But then when the Harlequin hero does not make his lasting impression we tend to feel frustrated although we know that nobody is born perfect in this universe of our Creator including our own selves.Then we will be thinking it will be better if we have children to add excitement and colours to life.Yet another problem crop up like the children are not old enough and demand our attention all the time until we find there is no time to be alone in our private world.We start to imagine how contented we will be when they grow older.Again we are frustrated that we have teenagers to deal with which definitely not easy and can really challenge our sanity.We will certainly be happy when they are out of stage.

We keep telling ourselves that our lives will be complete when we are rich and leading a life in fast lane or when we can afford to go for a leisurely vacation or when we we can buy our dream house or when we retire.

At this age, I finally find the actual undeniable truth.There is no other better time to be happy than right now.Our lives are always ,continuously,endlessly filled with challenges,obstacles,some unfinished business ,unpaid loans and the list goes on.And these obstacles are actually our lives.There is no such thing as our real lives are about to begin or happiness is about to come.This is our lives which we should enjoy and try to find happiness and satisfaction in it ,little it may be.

Happiness is the way not the end result at the finishing line.Treasure each day that we go through,find happiness in little things like the smell of morning grasses,the sight of dew drops,receiving calls from your kid,cooking a set of delicious lunch for your family and watching them gobble everything or just getting an early morning kiss from your kid before they leave for school.
Do not wait until the rascal kids grow older or until we retire or until we reach 50 years old or until we get promotion or until we move to a new house or until Sunday or until next week etc..etc..
Stop brooding and waiting for uncertainity.Enjoy life in every passing minute and find beauty in every trail we walk on..
Happiness is a journey not a destination..

9 comments:

Kak Teh said...

How deep! Thanks for the kata-kata hikmat and reading this at a time when everyone is asleep and all is quiet around me, I feel the meaning of those words.

Memorable trails... said...

You re welcome.And yes ..happiness also means gazing at your kid's face when he is soundly asleep.So naive..so innocent..
And that is also the best time to do muhasabah diri,when everybody in the house is asleep and the world around is very quiet.

Naz in Norway said...

Salam Madam,
The quote at the end of your post is the same one I chose for our family card this year :)

Sometimes we easily forget how lucky we are. As we yearn for something better, we oversee the all tiny *happiness* that surround us every day-.

ibu,mommy,mom... said...

I agree-Thanks for allowing me to read what you posted.

Memorable trails... said...

Naz,
Thnks for visiting my blog.We need to pause more often and reflect.Appreciate what we have and Allah will give more..

Salam Ibu..
Welcome.Just my two cents

Dani Zakaria said...

Hello Madam..:P

this entry gives me a gud reminder..life is such a difficult journey kan...:)

take care kak..:)

Memorable trails... said...

Yes Dani.Life is not about perfection but it is more about accepting the flaws..
Thnks for visiting again.

Queen Of The House said...

Salam Madam Gold .... I hopped here from Kak Nong's. Just spent some time reading your jottings, and enjoying your insights.

I read what you wrote about using English to teach Mathematics and Science. Coincidentally, I got caught in a jam in the city today ... a big group of people were demonstrating against the use of English in teaching Mathematics and Science. Kenapa tak terbuka minda mereka? They must think they are living in a fishbowl.

Memorable trails... said...

Yes, you re right. I wonder why they cant think outside the box.We need to work extraordinarily to achieve extraordinaries.And I think the top person in this area is right when he says why must they wait until six years???maybe there s something fishy going on..Wallahualam