Friday, July 10, 2009

Lu bikin gua susaaaah aje...

I was quite busy with co-academic language activities these past few days.Teaching in kampung school is not a bed of roses especially if you have to deal with English and have to come out with teams to participate in English activities.For example to come out with a team of 35 students to present a choral speaking is no joke and what more to compete with boarding and premier schools.
The script was written months ago by the teacher not students.Then the students were selected,trained in terms of articulation,pronunciation,gestures,expression,body language in fact from A to Z...Unlike in town schools,here, the teachers instruct everything,even whether to sway the body to the left or right, to move the body like a catterpillar or to remain static .However,what I admire about my "budak kampong" students are the spirit they showed through out the training period and the eagerness to perform in the competition. Never once did they complain of having to stay back until 4 pm and to be called during school holidays.
So on 7 th July,we were ready to compete.Before we left the school,teachers including our principal sent us off with words of encouragement hoping that our spirit will remain soaring.For me to receive a certificate of participation is more than enough.I am not putting high hopes on them for I know who they are competing with.This time would just be some sort of an exposure to them,maybe in the next few years we will give a tough fight..god willing..

We got to perform at 6:00 pm after siting down on a hard chair for four hours without any refreshment.Blame the urusetia for the poor running of the event.My "budak kampong"students performed well, flashing smiles throughout but a bit reserve and not as agressive and expressive as the other teams of town students.A sense of satisfaction could be seen in their faces.Although we didnt get any place,to present a team is an achievement already.I am proud of you girls and boys..never once did I see any feeling of inferior in you.You all presented well, at your own pace with your very unique style.
Getting ready.......waiting for instruction to face the audience
Daughter,Ifah, the conductor of the team,giving instructions to the team.The conductor is supposed to stand on a low stool but the urusetia didnt even prepare for it.Lots of post-mortem to do guys.... Meeting another blogger,Teacher Sally,whose blog I always visit but never leave a trace...

This week Malaysians have been awaken by the long-awaited news...that is the issue of ETEMS.I heard about the decision on SINAR FM morning news on my way to school.Upon hearing the news,the respond from my big baby was " Susahlah macam ni...".

I asked him "Kenapa susah?".
He answered " Yalah..kejap BI kejap BM.Kadang-kadang ada perkataan dah belajar
dalam BI tapi Ijat tak tau dalam BM".
So I asked him which language he prefers to learn his Math and Science.He
answered,"English or dwibahasa pun bolehlah.Tapi kalau BM aje ,susahlah..kena
belajar all the terms semula".

By then I reached his school.As he was about to step out I heard him sighing.."Lu bikin gua susah aje.."
So, even a twelve -year- old boy could forsee the tentative problems they may encounter in the next couple of years .Now my kid is in standard six, by 2012 he will be in form three and that will be the year where Math and Science will be switched to BM..and what more,that year he will be taking his PMR .How is he and the other kids borned in 1997 going to cope with this situation?I am too afraid to think about that.Maybe the language of these kids will finally end up like vegetable salad, a mixture of both languages but fluent in none.
Like Dr M,I am expressing my disappointment too...


15 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Salam,

I am too pretty upset with the decision to revert the Science and Maths to BM. I believe everything is OK, but as usual la there are people who like to politicize things. Yang jadi mangsa, are the children.

Have a great weekend ahead, madam..:)

arsaili said...

salam...yea isu yg tak pernah habis...but sebagai orang melayu, kita kena sentiasa bersedia dalam apa keadaan sekali pun...have a good foundation in english especially students from the rural..so whatever policy change or impose, they wont be affected. Tgk bangsa lain dia org tak kisah..english or BM, coz they mastered both language...

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for visiting again Ida.
I dont think the people up there really care about these children.They revert the language to BM, but they themselves send their children overseas.I dont think this policy affect them at all.
Cheers...

Memorable trails... said...

Dear arsaili,
Thanks for visiting again.
I couldnt agree with you more..kita kena bersedia dalam apa jua keadaan..tapi in this case we are not merely talking about knowing and speaking the language,instead using the language as medium of instructions in the classroom,and understanding the sources which are mostly written in English.Do you know how difficult it is to find a good Malay translation of a Science book at University level?There is almost nil.(sources I got from KPM)
Siapa kata bangsa lain tak kisah??Those from vernacular schools did voice out their dissatisfaction and created havoc when the govt decided to use English before...
My two cents..a thought from just a plain High School teacher who deal with students everyday for the last 20 +++ years.

MariaFaizal said...

Salam sis,
I've never expressed my frustrations in writing before, about the decision wether to use English or Malay. But these questions keep making my head spins (negative amazement :) "What on earth were these people thinking when bringing up the subjet" OR "Do these people even have brain to be able to think"... :(


I really don't want to use the 'S' word here sis :D (to dedicate to the concerned minister :)

Have a great weekend sis.

Memorable trails... said...

Maria,actually they dont really care about the future of our kids,shouldnt make the children confused la...which in a way could jeopardize their future.
Anak dia orang hantar ke private school,overseas.. so not really affected.

ReensPorchSale said...

Assalamualaikum...Dari stress pasal education,why not come shop at reensporchsale.blogspot.com

Memorable trails... said...

Ha...ha..ha..Reen,I ve looked through your porchsale.So far tiada berkenana lagi.Klu nak beli,how do I make payment?Are you mailing the thing to us?Daughter ada jugak berkenan kiddy bag tu..wait first ok..

Miss Zahidah Zakaria said...

saya lagi tak paham dan sedeh ;(
kenapa isu pendidikan pon nak di politikkan?
haihhhh!

Memorable trails... said...

Dah balik dari UK ke?Dah screen utk H1N1?Better do so ok..
Banyak shopping?

ReensPorchSale said...

Hi Madam Gold..
Hee hee..

Anything interested email me at reensporchsale@gmail.com

I'm trying to upload more pictures lagi.Do view .Yes I have many kiddi bags

Sally said...

Hye MG,

hehe..terkezut seeing my pic here..hikkss..

PPSMI?..ermmm..dah penat frust over the issue..like u said students actually are not complaining bout using English..for God sake..they are kids,they can digest whatever language being thought to them..my kids too are not happy about this not so wise decision..huhu

Memorable trails... said...

TS, pasal happy sangat jumpa rakan blogger tu yg masukkan pics.
Cheers..

Win said...

I am quite sure your coral team will remember this (and their cikgu)for the rest of their lives...InsyaAllah - win

Miss Zahidah Zakaria said...

safely arrived in Malaysia
free from H1N1, Alhamdulillah
shopping?
hehehe
luggage, 28kg
handluggage, 12kg
back pack, almost 10kg