Tuesday, August 4, 2009

At the eleventh hour.

Mommy dearest has been cracking and spinning her head for the past few days thinking of ways to improve her children's studies.Luckily, she doesn't have any kind of heart- related diseases or suffer from high blood pressure or else the chances she might end up in a ward again are very great.

Last week I attended two "majlis rundingcara", one was at my son's college and another was at my daughter's school.This year I have three children sitting for major examinations.Along is sitting for his SPM,Angah for PMR and big baby for UPSR.So , you know the kind of worries ,anticipation, anxieties and turmoil that I am facing...

For Along and big baby, I do not have much problem since they are very consistent in their studies and performances.But for Angah , her latest result leaves me speechless and at wit's end!

I received different responses from the two interaction sessions.Along's teachers gave very encouraging comments and his recent result is something that he should be proud of considering that he missed lots of his classes.

From his Chemistry teacher, "Ridzuan is always busy and he missed three topics when he was away for rugby.Tapi tak pe sebab dia pandai bawa diri.Balik dari training dia terus jumpa saya for coaching.Dia ni saya lantik as mentor in Chemistry."

From his Sejarah teacher, "Mu sibuk lagi We (short form for Ridzuan)Bor..bor..lah.Nok periksa doh ni."

From his Add Math teacher,"Dia orang yang paling sibuk dalam sekolah ni.Kejap pergi rugby,sekejap sibuk ngan Badan Perwakilan Pelajar,sekejap pergi exhibition hinggakan pergi ziarah kematian pun dia.Lucky pick up dia cepat, kalau tidak teruk juga.Dulu saya jadikan dia model dalam kelas saya,tapi sekarang ni pelajaran dah menurun sikit. "

So after the session, I had a long pep talk with along asking him to slow down with his activties.
He promised me that he will focus on his studies from now on since he has let go some of his posts.The election for Badan Perwakilan Pelajar is done, so from now on the fourth formers will take over.The fifth formers can now concentrate on the lessons.Alhamdulillah...

Then I went to Angah's school.The comment I received was not becoming at all. I made a point to see all her subject teachers.
From his Science teacher,"Dia ni pick up sederhana, jadi kena rajin lah.Dalam kelas very responsive dan tidak ada masaalah.Saya tak bimbang dia ni pasal dia tak tau dia tanya."

From his Math teacher, "Saya tak tau apa nak cakap pasal dia ni.It is like dalam kelas dia ni orang lain and bila ambil exam seolah-olah dia jadi orang lain."
I was confused and asked, "kenapa?"
He answered, "Nampak macam dia faham bila dalam kelas, tapi bila exam dia tak boleh menjawab."
Wow..there is a problem here.But all I can think of is she lacks practice in Mathematics.Once she understands how to solve the problems, she should practise it again and again.And to do this,she needs to be hardworking and Angah is definitely not!Self-study which should be the practice of any boarders does not suit her.She has to be reminded continuously, guided closely and even blabbered often to get her to study.And how am I going to do these since she is staying at the hostel???
So, after spinning her head for days, mommy dearest comes to a solution.From this weekend I will visit her every week to sit and study together with her, even if I have to stay the whole day.I cant forsee any other ways to get her to study since she has only 62 days to her PMR.
I have myself to be blamed too.All this while I thought like Along, I could leave everything to her and the teachers.So, I did not give much attention to her and trust her to excel on her own.

To me, there is a blessing in disguise here.Angah's case has made me see that different children learn not only at different pace but under different condition.I also learned that once you put your children in boarding schools you just cant wash your hands clean.You still need to be alert on their activities and guided them closely.

So, now I ve decided to blog less, instead spend more time studying and working with my children.And last night I had been sitting together with daughter Ifah until 11:30 pm to teach and coach her in Math on the topic "Integers".It is not easy for I have to refresh my memory on this.Afterall I left my Mathematics 30 years ago after completing my fifth form.However, the session I had last night with Ifah was satisfaction guaranteed.
I got to go now because the next topic is "Angles" and I have to do my revision first! Bye folks.

16 comments:

DrSam said...

We share the same predicament here ma'am. Even though my kids are going to have their major exam next year (two of them) but it really worried me a lot. Even though the eldest is in the very best of hands, but since he is not under the watchful eyes of us the parent, the kid is still the kid - playful and ignorance. Like yours, his history subject is the most worrying.

My wife has also started to personally coached the two siblings that are staying at home. Luckily she was a teacher before. I know it is hard to be a good teacher cause I don't have that passion (and patience) - silap sikit mesti kena sergah dan jentik punye :)

Hope you and your kids are coping well madam and all the best wishes for you.

Memorable trails... said...

Yes,my kid can be playful and easily carried away esp when being with friends.We , the parents just cant sit back n relax.Got to watch n supervise them closely though they are in good school.
We re trying very hard to make things under control doc.
Best of luck to you and ur kids too.

Nong said...

We were strict with the kids when they were with us i.e. from std 1-6. They will do homeworks and latih tubi till 10 pm everyday after dinner except for Satureday night, we'll eat out or watch movies.

When they were in boarding schools in form 1-5, then later in the varsities they were on their own. And alhamdulillah they passed exams with flying colors...

Don't worry yourself too much, Madam!

Memorable trails... said...

Hopefully my kids could excel like your kids k nong.Then like u, I ll be one satisfied mother.
For now I just hope for the best for all of them.
U should be proud of urself sis!A job well done.

MariaFaizal said...

Sis,
Since i have started working, i have let KUMON takes over my 'coaching' job. My son is 4 going 5 and my daughter ,3. You think it's alright i send them for additional classes at that age? I have these predicament as I'm working late each day :(

Am feeling guilty too!

Take care sis...

MariaFaizal said...

Sorry sis, I left the part of why I'm feeling guilty :P

Apart from working late each day & not able to be with my children, most of my relatives said I'm pushing my kids too hard :(

Not sure why i feel this way, but in my heart i took their remarks in most cynical way(with the most sceptical thoughts) . S.O.S!

Thanks sis..

Memorable trails... said...

Parents want their children to get the best.I think ur sending Adam & Aisyah to Kumon is one of the best thing a mother could give to her children.
Kumon is a good programme n u provide ur children with something productive and skillful to fill up their time while u re away.That is a lot better than having kindergarden people or some babysitters accompanying them.So why the guilty feeling?
Children learn best at early age,a practice for their young brain.Well they can relax during weekends or while with you.
Tenguk aje bangsa lain, dia orng train anak dari kecil2 lagi,dia enroll semua kelas.Kita orng melayu je yang kononnya sayang anak tak mahu mereka teruk2.Itu sebab anak melayu kita manja tak mau belajar teruk2.
Klu I dok KL pun I akan anta anak I kelas tersebut, but here everything is limited.
Well sis, my two cents.Hope I have made the guilty feeling if not totally gone,reduced.
Cheers.

Al-Manar said...

Madam
Worrying over children’s performance in an exam is now a parents’ privilege. It causes the extra flow of adrenalin but it is truly a pleasure. I had that experience long, long ago. Two years ago two of my children worried over their boys’ UPSR. At the end, it turned out fine. Today they are again worrying over their second ones, also for UPSR. But having gone through it once, they worry less. And here I am in the back seat, worrying over children whose backgrounds are not as fortunate as our children’s. I want them to do as well as they can at PMR and SPM to be as close as possible on the same level play ground as our own children. Your children will do fine, madam, insya Allah. We all try but we cannot make the future.
Pakcik

mamasita said...

Hai Madam Gold..
would you like to attend the NCWO dinner kat Bukit Kiara Sime Darby Convention Centre,KL? Its on Tuesday,11th August.Thank you.

Just let me know via email pun takper..address..hudaartdealer@yahoo.com

Memorable trails... said...

Totally agree with u Pak Cik.We can plan but the ONE up there knows what best for us n our children.
Thanks..I hope my children will excel finally.
What you re doing now is such a noble job.Seldom we find people who re willing to sacrifice for the sake of the less fortunate.If there re more people like u Pak Cik in this world, then the world will be a better place to live in.

Zendra-Maria said...

Madam,

I think the children of teachers, like yours, benefit from parents who understand pedagogy. So you use different approaches to tutor them in their weaker subjects. My own daughter is having a problem in Physics only because she does not like her teacher's style of teaching, alas I cannot help much beyond advising her to practise the past years' papers, and the doa or two :)

v said...

Cabaran mendidik. Hopefully kita mendapat yang terbaik utk insan2 yg tersayang.

Kak Teh said...

Madam Gold, what a dedicated mum!!

Selamat menyambut buln ramadhan yang mulia ini. Am sure you will be preparing lots of delicious food to spoil the family.

Memorable trails... said...

Zendra, I am doing and giving all I can for the kids.There are times when pedagogy does not work so,that will be the time mommy dearest uses rotanlogy.. he..he..he

Memorable trails... said...

lili 11, I welcome you to my humble blog.Salam perkenalan.

Memorable trails... said...

Hi Kak Teh,
Yes, this year am planning to cook on most days.Just hope health permits me.If not kena menu yang tunjuk-tunjuk di pasar ramadhan sajelah..