Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life is a roller coaster ride...

SUNDAY - My life has been like on a roller coaster ride these past weeks.It started on Sunday when i received the sad news from Muar.My aunt Yan passed away due to several illnesses.....I took a 9:00 pm flight from Kota Bharu to KLIA.I was lucky that night, there were still many empty seats, so getting one wasnt a problem.The plane touched down at about 10:00pm at KLIA, and my sister was already there waiting for me to drive up to Muar and we reached our kampong at almost 12:00 midnight. I am not quite used to all these funeral things.Having been away from families most of the time, i seldom get the chance to attend the funerals or weddings or kenduri.Yes, I always missed my cousins' weddings but they understood me.Upon reaching the house,my two uncles were there.Cik Jai guided me to see the body of my late aunt Yan.He opened the veil for me, and i saw aunt Yan lying there as if she was sleeping peacefully with her lips smiling.I kissed her cheeks for the last time and that was it.Al fatihah for aunt Yan..may Allah put you among the good and the pious. For us ..the living souls,may THE AL MIGHTY continue guiding us as we journey through this borrowed world..That night i stayed up reading the quran and the Yassin until my eyes could no longer open.I looked at the time, it was 2:00 am...

MONDAY- I left for KL after the funeral.Since i hadnt bought any ticket yet, and was too tired physically and emotionally, i decided to stay in KL for one more night.I went to my husband's mess and what awaited me was very surprising.His condo which he shares with another officer is situated on the 20th floor and overlooking the city of KL.Having been staying in a country town for years,I was mesmerised with such a breathtaking view..i m sure my kids will be gaping at the sight of the sky scrappers glittering magnificiently in the darkness of the sky and the vehicles that look like moving neon bulbs from the 20 th floor...

TUESDAY- Since KLIA is quite a distance from KL, so i decided to fly back with Firefly from Subang.I haven't been on a Fokker for years, so this would be quite a thriling experience for me.And it definitely was..I also received a phone call from my school telling me that i was requested to attend an interview in Jitra, Kedah the next day.I asked them to postpone, and the latest date that they gave me was Thursday. Alright.. I would try and make it..
Due to the bad weather the plane went through a turbulence..it was shaking all the way and when we reached K Bharu it was pouring, so we were caught up in the cabin for half an hour...until we were finally given an umbrella each.Unlike before, travelling by plane nowdays is no longer frilly and lacy..
I was drenched when i reached my car in the car park.Of course i would not wait for the rain to stop, it could be hours later and i had to pick up my two kids from my friend's house.I guessed it was just not my day, for i lost my way twice.I could not see the signboard due to the pouring rain, so i took a turn to Bachok instead of Pasir Putih.I had to stopped twice, once at the petrol station and later at a stall asking for direction.I was wet from top to toe and shivering too.A journey, which on normal bright day takes 45 mins took 1 1/2 hours!When i reached my friend's house my kids were already asleep and the time was 11:30pm ..and i had to go home, tidy up the house, change the smelly clothes in the luggage to fresh ones for i had travel up to Jitra, Kedah the next day!

WEDNESDAY-i was now back in school in Kelantan, completing all the necessary task before the hols.But early that morning i had to see my students first , gave them my blessing before sitting for their SPM English Paper .I had to sort out a few things first.Luckily my friend had bought me a bus ticket to Jitra..that s what friends are for..So, that s settled.Next I had to look at the offer letter.I was offered to attend an interview for the post of Senior Lecturer at The Institute of Aminuddin Baki.I didnt know how qualified i am for the post..but after some encouragement from my colleagues, i decided to make it a go.So, that night i found myself on the road again, this time on an express bus heading for Jitra.My kids??again i had to leave them to some good neighbours..they protested at first but after giving a piece of my mind, they obeyed.Thank god ..I m blessed with obedient kids and good neighbours...


THURSDAY - I reached Jitra at 5:00 am and my friend was already there waiting for me.That s one advantage of moving around so much.You make friends everywhere and always keep in touch.You might not know when you need their help.When you need them,they are there for you.At 9: 00 am i was all ready for the interview.First , I had to sit for some computer test .There were 173 questions to be answered in 30 mins.Well, i just breezed it through..Then the interview time..As i was sitting outside the room, i could see that all the other candidates were all set.With them were thick files which i guess containing all their credentials and expertist, which definitely match with their serious and professional look.Unlike me, i only brought a few documents that they requested..no thesis..no research papers..After all what i did for my masters were old school already, way back in 1986.
Then my name was called, so i went into the room , and the two interviewers were there sitting in the center,looking at me as if analyzing me from top to toe.After the introductory , the first question shot out was how mobile I am.So, i told them i am highly mobile and cited all the events happening from Sunday up to the present.No comment...Then they went into business..where i thought i could answer it well..That night i took a bus back to Kota Bharu.

FRIDAY-i was back at home,organizing things and starting to mark the test papers..My hols has just begun...but my weary and tired body started to ache all over..

1 comment:

Lee Tan Luck Online said...

Dear Hajah,
Just like to contact you but do not have your email.

Regards,

Lee
leeta786@johor.uitm.edu.my