Friday, April 24, 2009

A slice of spring in London..

The hot sticky weather lately makes me long for the four seasons which I used to experience about 25 years ago.
Of all the four , I love spring..Spring comes and the whiff of heavenly fragrances filled the air.Green shoots coming from underground bulbs ,flowers of all species blossom, patches of green green grass approaching from once ice- covered ground...Most importantly I could throw the bulky thick winter clothing in the closet and it would remain there until the next winter days.
It s April now, so it means spring time at the other side of the globe.I remember spending a few days of spring in London on my backpacking trip to Europe.I just could not stop myself from admiring the gardens in front of the English cottages.There were roses and roses and more roses,from one garden to another and they were just incredible..big ,colourful ones that you just cant stop your itchy hands from plucking them.
Spring also reminds me of the red double-decker bus in the city of London.Spring 1985,I was there,finding my way around London.Actually that was my third time being there, and that particular time I was on my way to tour Europe.I worked,I saved and I put aside my practical allowance specially for the long awaited tour.For I knew, once I was back in our Bolehland,there would be a slim chance for me to go on such a tour.It s not a classy,5-star hotel tour where butlers awaited for our arrival, but just a backpacking one where I went hoping from one youth hostel to another for bed and breakfast. I remember breakfast was always that long,hard and tasteless french bread with jams and marmalade,where I would stuff some of it into my smaller backpack for lunch before starting off for the day.
In London,luckily I had friend to venture around with.Madamme Tussaud, Harrods(just for a tour not shopping of course),Selfridges,Big Ben,Tower of London,Buckingham Palace were no longer on top of my list since I had been there on the previous trips.My intention during my two-day transit was just to rest after disembarking from Transworld Airlines and before boarding a hovercraft to get across the English Channel.So, that particular day was spent touring around the city amidst the hustle and bustle of the Londoners ,strolling lazily along Thames River stopping couple of times taking photos with guards in uniform,feeding the pigeons at Trafalgar Square ,sitting on one of the benches near the Big Ben while admiring the flowers around and the passer by and finally just lazing at Hyde Park in the crisp Spring air.We were just walking and wandering until it was almost dusk time.




Lepaking on one of the benches..


Beds of tulips and a double decker bus...


For memory..with one of the guards posted along Thames River

The Big Ben..


Realising that, we rushed to the bus-stop and only to see the red double-decker bus was about to move.This friend of mine who had been so used to life in London , sprinted for the bus without bothering the eyes around.We surely had made quite a scene..two girls tudung wrapped scurying around the town for a bus as if it was the last one on earth.Leaving with no choice,I chased after her.Of course, I wouldnt want to be left alone and got lost as I didnt know my way around.At first I thought she was definitely going to stop after a few seconds,but I misjudged her, as she was really determined to get onto the bus.Staying in London had truly made her a strong and persistent being.She kept on running after the bus for a few meters i.e until the next bus -stop before hoping onto it.Slowly, the bus came to a halt at the bus -stop, and panting for breath I finally able to catch up,mount the staircase and collapse on the nearest seat.
I was drained of energy , waiting for my heart to explode...



The two of us..sprinters of the day.Back then she was a lawyer to be..
Look at my green socks.Would I dare to wear it today???Those were the younger energetic days ..where all the crazy things were possible.




22 comments:

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Madam Gold..ah..London is so romantic. We used to sit on a bench on the riverbank (of Thames), enjoyed our packed nasi lemak. It was in autumn, sejuk sampai ke tulang hitam.

When will you take a trip to London?

Memorable trails... said...

Hi Ida! Yes, London is the perfect place for lovers.
When is my next trip to London?Hai tak nampak lagi..surely I am not a lady of leisure..have to start tabung jalan2 cari makan dulu.

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Assalamualaikum, kata Pak Malim sambil memegang talian Telekom. Okay apa, pakai setokin hijau, kata Pak Malim yg bermata hijau. Lepas ni, boleh lumba lari, kata pak malim sambil naik lori.

Lee said...

Hi Madam Gold, I guess with the humidity in Malaysia you do miss the cool freshness of Spring.
Its Springtime here now, with clear blue skies, wild guess flying home from USA.

Can hear their 'quack quack' overhead every now and then.
And best, next to where my car is parked, a wild Lilac plant has green buds coming out.
Soon the strong scent of Lilacs will engulf my car location.

And Cherry blossoms starting to bloom too...
and yes, after 6 months of frigid cold, ice and snow, kita macham orang gila now miniskirt weather, ha ha.
Best regards, Lee.

Memorable trails... said...

Salam kembali utk Pak Malim yang baik hati
Terima Kasih daun keladi,esok lusa datanglah lagi, kata Madamgold sambil menari-nari
Masuk lumba lari???Oh no..kata madamgold lalu menjerit sekuat hati
Zaman itu telah berlalu,bisik madamgold sambil makan ikan cencaru..

Memorable trails... said...

Hi Lee,Feel like jumping into the first plane Canada bound.Must be cool and pleasant overthere.You really make me green with envy..
So fieste time ha..you can feast your eyes for 5 months or so.Tapi dont forget your sunglass ya..nanti orang kata juling pulak..

DrSam said...

It is nice to read your adventure in the land of fish and chips. Bring back load of fond memories.

If you ask me, which season would fancy me the most? The answer will be all seasons. unique!

Yes ma'am, lets start our tabung jalan-jalan cari makan ASAP!

Kak Teh said...

aaah, more spring in London post!
sure brings back memories, ya?

ibu,mommy,mom... said...

aha..London...I love London..I thought Paris is the Perfect place for lovers?
oOO I love Paris..
Anyway...its nice looking at ol pictures aint it?

Miss Zahidah Zakaria said...

aha, memory lama ya?
very nice!

i wish, my trip to London would be as nice as yours.

Memorable trails... said...

Agree with you doc, have to start NOW..
Yes each season has its own speciality and uniqueness.Love one but enjoy all..

Hello Kak Teh,
Lot and lots of fond memories there.Have to jot down before forgetting..not getting any younger.

Memorable trails... said...

Hi ibu, everywhere is actually the perfect place for lovers.What important is the love bond between the couple.Throw them anywhere,on Sahara desert or iceland,they still can enjoy love live to the maximum..he.he.he

Memorable trails... said...

Miss Zaza, You going to London?When ?Enjoy your trip ok dear!

arsaili said...

salam...i love spring as well...kalau kat UK, winter sungguh gloomy...boleh buat kemurungan jer

Anonymous said...

romanticnyerr.. me teringin nk gi trafalgar square taooo

Miss Zahidah Zakaria said...

aha
teacher,
insyaAllah
i'll be going to london
this becoming june ;)
x sabarrrr!!!
too excited ;)

Memorable trails... said...

Hello arsaili,down under musim apa la ni.Bro just got back from Aussie,finished his MA.Yes ,the cold days of winter,klu boleh nak dok dlm selimut je..mula2 memang excited to see first drop of snow,tapi lama2 nak keluar pun malas.

Memorable trails... said...

yginsaf,thanks for visiting.Drop by anytime.

Memorable trails... said...

Miss Zaza,hope you will have a wonderful time there.Enjoy life to the fullest while you are still young.You must be seeing your sis.regards to her.

Nong said...

For my business trips i travel business class and stay in many-star hotel. But when hubby and i travel for our leisure trips, we like to backpack.

I have been to London a few times. But what i love most is to drive and enjoy the scenery of the country sides...

Memorable trails... said...

Best nya Nong dapat travel business class..A plain teacher like me ni tak merasa lah..
Tapi dah rezeki kami ,masa perform Hajj 2 yrs ago, kami di beri first class.Mungkin sebab we were the last few to check in,give way to mak cik2 dan pak chik2 utk check in dulu.
Buat baik di balas baik..

MariaFaizal said...

The pictures bring back memories for me as well!

I still feel that the smell & ambiance during winter (especially) during xmas still magical to me :D

Cheers to you & yours!