Tuesday, March 16, 2010

When the cat was not around....

I seldom write on other things but my family.But a few episodes which happened this afternoon have sparked my interest to write on a different subject matter.

Earlier this afternoon I went to one of the army hospitals for my big baby's medical examination.No..no..he is fine alright.The examination is just a requirement for him to enter into MRSM.

So we stepped into the out-patient building.We were greeted with a smile and a very warm welcome.After giving the form and particulars,we were asked to sit.Fine...It was a very relaxing and pleasant atmosphere, with only less than ten patients waiting in line.

Less than ten minutes,we were called up by the nurse.We were asked to go to radiology department and get the x-ray report.Actually this is the second visit to the hospital.The first one was last week to take the x-ray and the urine.This week is to gather all the reports and to meet the doctor.I didn't complain much although I know that this medical examination can be done in half a day if it is at the General Hospital.But because dear hubby chose to do it at the army hospital,I just follow the tide.Anyway who am I to make such a fuss.Two days they said,so two days I waited...

We had no problem at the radiology.The report and x-ray film were all ready.I took the film and brought it to the receptionist at the out-patient department ...and again we were asked to wait.

With nothing to do,I just glued my eyes on the TV screen.The show was "Kak Odah driver" ,which I have never gotten the chance to watch before this.Five minutes later we were called up again.Now one of the nurses told us that we couldnt see the doctor today.They gave us a very lame excuse...that was the system broke down earlier and it would take sometime to recover the data and hence they couldnt print out the urine report.So they asked us to come back again the next day.To come another day is definitely a waste of time and a waste of petrol.So,I told them I d rather wait even if it was going to be hours rather then coming back the next day. Seeing that I insisted on waiting,the other nurse came out with a solution...telling me that they d trace the urine test manually.Aha...it can be done and solved!
There is always another way or a different solution.What if I were such a weak and meek person..sure kena goreng punya..To these type of civil servants do you know that part of your duties is to overcome whatever problems that might arise in the best possible way instead of coming out with excuses...

The second episode...I was given back the form and asked to go for dental examination. Never mind it is just next door.I entered the room.I bypassed the first room because the person in there was talking on the phone.I went to the second room which appeared to be an examination room.It was empty.I marched on ...the third room.The door was wide open and I saw a man in uniform (whom I discovered later to be the dentist) lying on a sofa with his two legs on the arm rest and at the same time talking to his staff...They did not even bother to close the door.I am sure as civil servants we are not allowed to behave in such a manner while at work even if we are the boss..Or was it my fault because I didnt give any assalamualaikum...No...no..I am sure what was portrayed in front of me was very unethical.
Anyway..the dentist did as what was required by the form but he definitely couldnt hide his red face ...

Third episode...Then we were shoved to another room..where they took the weight,height,blood pressure and did some eye test.The room was filled with 5 other staff.As one of the staff was checking big baby, the others were laughing and talking hilariously without bothering my presence.One was flipping through pages of a shoe catalogue and commenting.One of them was walking around and almost bumped on me.Maybe they thought I was just one mak chik kampung who doesnt know the rules and regulation at the hospital.An examination room which resembled a market place...

Final episode...I can just ignore the above episodes and come out with some excuses for their manners.Maybe they are only the support staff and not professionals.However what I saw in the final episode was even worst!When my number was called I pushed my big baby into the doctor's room.As usual I was expecting a doctor and his nurse on duty.But I was wrong this time.There were three people,the doctor,the nurse who was standing and waiting for orders ...and wait there was another one occupying the seat in front of the doctor,whom I would call "ahli mesyuarat tingkap" (borrowed words from Do Re Mi film).
The doctor asked big baby to occupy the seat next to him.He started to write,check and sometimes stop for 10 seconds or so to talk to that ahli mesyuarat tingkap.As they were talking in English,not mandarin or tamil, I couldnt help myself from eavesdropping.They were talking about their friend who is now a free-lance surgeon and making big bucks.I understood well... but in my faded pink blouse and slipper they possibly thought that I was just a dumb orang kampung.

I was trying to relate this to my kind of situation.What if I were in my mid-teaching and suddenly one of my colleagues appeared at the doorway and asking about this friend and that friend.Would I stop and entertain my colleague?If I did,well I am bound to receive complaints from students and parents.But here these two young doctors simply mixing work and play,entertaining his friend while attending a patient!I wonder what they learned at their induction courses or PTK courses..and ........I wonder where their boss was...when the cat was not around,the rats were all over the ground...

Anyhow,I managed to get everything done before 4 pm.For the next medical examination,I am definitely going to get it done at one of the general hospitals...I know it is crowded but the service is far more efficient...

4 comments:

Zendra-Maria said...

Madam Gold, it goes to show by the obvious lack of patients that military personnel are very healthy people, also because it's peace time, thereby no combat-injured. However the indiscpline and apathy of its medical officers cannot be excused. What appalling attitude!

Memorable trails... said...

It's peace time no doubt...but still they have to provide the best service to patients..not achuh tak achuh attitude...
Actually their service is not for the armies only but the neighbouring community too...

mamasita said...

Not surprising! Majority macam tu..lazy! And banyak bersembang2! Not serious in their work and unfortunately ingat semua yang datang pakai baju lama and selipar makcik kampung yang tak berpelajaran!
Good for you MG..kena exert your rights and scare them a bit! Booh!

Memorable trails... said...

Memang selalu macam tu Datin...Kalau kita tegur or tunjuk serius sikit dia kata kita ni mengada2,eksyen ,tak brapa nak layan and they know their work better.
Kadang2 serba salah jugak kita...