Thursday, May 14, 2009

I am a teacher..

Tomorrow is Teacher's Day.For the last 22 years I ve been in and out of more than ten different school gates and countless classrooms . I ve been in a school in the heart of an army camp where everything is in order and in control,a missionary school where the silence and discipline really amazed me , a boarding school where everything should be in tip top condition, a suburb school where the students can really challenge my sanity, a rural school where the kids will bring me loads of rambutans ,durian,salak on their motorbikes during fruit season and a school surrounded by golden padi fields where the view is just breathtaking.

I am a teacher in a classroom,a teacher at home,a teacher during the day,a teacher during the night,a teacher during weekdays,a teacher during weekends...every second,every minute,every hour,every day I am a teacher.A person to be sought after by the students, by the children,by the elders.I even had an elderly neighbour who came knocking on my door asking me to read the bank receipt for she couldnt understand English!

A teacher is everything..
I am a teacher who teaches and moulds students to become better selves and good citizens.
I am a clerk who is forever in front of my computer to type out notes and questions.
I am a coach to train my students in sports they excel in.
I am a nurse to be sought after when my students are sick and looking for any kind of ointment or medication.
I am an unpaid driver to send my students home if they are very sick or to send them to competitions or tournament.
I am a counsellor to counsel the students if they are muddle in problems.
I am a subtitute parent for those who run away from home and need temporary shelter
I am a gardener who is ever ready lending a hand in beautifying the school.
I am a doctor when I see life is reborn each day with new ideas and questions.
I am a warrrior doing battle against peer pressure,ignorance and negativity.
I am an architect to provide a strong basic foundation of knowledge,love and truth so the structure can last forever.
I am an actress who acts in classroom to get the focus and attention of students.
I am a friend who is ready to lend a hand and an ear to my students.
I am a salesman who would campaign as which reads are the best.
I am a preacher who would preach on virtues and moralities almost everyday...
the list goes on and the responsibility adds on..
But... I would be the name and face who have long forgotten yet whose lessons and character be remembered in the accomplishment of my students.

I am thankful to the public,to the parents for you have done a great honour to entrust to me your greatest contribution to eternity,your children.I am delighted to be able to spend time with the future.

I have a past that is rich in memories.I have a present that is challenging.I have a future to reap the produce of my hardwork.

For all dedicated teachers out there,I wish all of you a Happy Teacher's Day with the following message:

"Jadilah guru yang mempunyai cinta seperti cinta Adam dan Hawa
Jadilah guru yang mempunyai kasih seluhur kasih Siti Hajar
Jadilah guru yang cerdik secerdik Saidatina Aisyah
Jadilah guru yang ikhlas seikhlas Rabiatul Adawiyah
Jadilah guru yang tabah setabah hati Fatimah Az Zahara
Jadilah guru yang beriman seteguh iman Sumayah."
To all my ex-teachers in Abdullah School,Sungai Mati,Muar and Sultan Abu Bakar Girls School, Muar,thank you for everything.You have made me who I am today.I am proud of you and big hug for each and everyone of you.

18 comments:

MariaFaizal said...

Happy Teachers' Day sis!
Once a teacher,always a teacher.
I've never forgotten my teachers whom have taught me so much about life!

I realise how much teachers have helped me change my way of life & they didn't just teach me/all of us about classroom subjects,they have provided much needed guidance (I was in boarding school).And for that,I'm always grateful to my teachers.

Your list is supposed to be endless one!Ditto to you sis & all the teachers in the world.

hj adib said...

suka baca your article .frankly speaking i cannot be a teacher.i tak ada nilai-nilai seorang guru walaupun saya anak guru.

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for the wish Maria.Yes, our teachers are people who have left great impact on us ,who have made us who we are today.
Tanpa mereka siapalah kita
Have a nice day.

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks Hj Adib.Teaching is a pleasure if you put your soul into it and treat it as ibadah.
If you think of all the burden,you ll find that teaching is sickening..

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Happy Teacher's Day to you, madam..

Semoga terus berjuang menjadi guru yang cemerlang..:)

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks Ida.Happy Teacher's Day to you ex teacher too.

arsaili said...

salam madamGold wish u happy teachers'day..may ALLAH bless u and be d best teacher forever k...

DrSam said...

Yes, teacher is everything. Happy Teacher's day. You are the best!

Memorable trails... said...

Hi asaili, thanks for the good wish.

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for the wish doc.Yes, hopefully my motivation will remain intact.

Nong said...

May be a little belated but 'Happy teacher's day'to you... We are a teacher in one way or another...

Memorable trails... said...

Thnaks k nong.Dah balik dari Kuching ke?

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim, kucing ray yg alim.

Maaf komen lambat, kata Pak Malim yg datang dengan wombat. Kami nak nyanyi satu lagu untuk Madam Gold, sempena Hari Guru, kata Pak Malim sambil tergaru2.

R U Ready? kata Pak Malim sambil memegang bateri Ever Ready.

"Kami guru Malaysia
Berikrar dan berjanji
Mendidik dan memimpin
Putera-puteri negara kita"

La la la la la. How's my singing? Okay tak? kata Pak Malim sambil meminum susu kotak.

Memorable trails... said...

Terima kasih daun keladi,tak sangka ambo.. kucing pun pandai nyanyi, kata madamgold sambil makan nasi.

Suara sedap ala-ala Ela gitu.Pitching lari sikit api tak pe lah tu, komen madamgold sambil mengaru.

Tahun depan nyanyi lagi,mana tau boleh jadi Mawi...

Win said...

Salam cikgu, hop blogged from my friend kak puziah's blog, I like reading your penned thoughts -win

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for visiting.

ibu,mommy,mom... said...

Happy Teacher's Day..sorry lambat wish

Zam said...

Hello...teacher.this is Zam...happy always!!!!!