Thursday, May 21, 2009

PTK Oh PTK

It has been a hot topic for the last couple of days.Everybody at school from the administrators down to lab attendance are talking about it; in the staffroom,in the canteen, while walking to classes, even the pak cik sapu and the mak cik canteen heard the grouses over PTK results! A heat wave is hitting the school.Panas..panas..

The results of PTK are out.Some are complaining,voicing out their grouses while a few flashing a smile, satisfied with the results even though only succeeded in getting band 3.It means they do not have to sit for the test again.For those who get band 1 or 2 ,they have to repeat or else they would remain static at their present grade.

PTK means Penilaian Tahap Kecekapan.How "cekap" are we in our teaching profession.Can we be considered cekap if we can answer all the questions on General Order and get the highest band, but can only produce a handful of excellent students at the end of the day?I do not know,I guess the government has one peculiar way of assessing teachers.Even though objections,critics and complaints have been continuously aired through Teachers Unions and individuals, PTK is still being implemented.And mind, you teachers rank the last in groups of civil servants who score the highest band, that is band 4!

This year the government has made a few changes in the format of the test.They have scraped off the coursework, instead the candidates have to sit for examination alone .Phew...what a relief because more than 50% of the burden is lifted!But in a way I think this is not fair for us,the pioneers of PTK.We were tested mentally and emotionally, in fact during the course there were a few passed out last minute, fainted..unable to present their research paper.

I was called to attend this course somewhere in 2007,a long waited offer.It is not that I was too eager to attend it, but it is more like to get over and done with this nonsense.Before that I had heard so much about the course from the senior teachers.They were observed all the time even while having meals!The observation was for personality merits.I guess to see whether we possessed all the right etiquette to climb up the ladder.So much of hypocrisy!

So the course that I went through required me:
1. To write a research paper of 25 pages,which I slogged in day and night, for it had been ages since I last wrote one.

2. To carry out a power point presentation of the research paper.Lucky I wrote my own paper,so I understood my case very well and no problem in presenting and answering questions from the evaluators.My power point was prepared by my son though.Tau-taulah..my IT knowledge, dari dulu sampai sekarang blurrrr.There were some who paid other people to write the paper,and we could see this clearly during presentation.

3. To give a public speaking in English.Lucky me for I speak English almost everyday.In fact I was the writer of the week,writing speeches for uztazah and other subject teachers for free.Never mind, cari ilmu dan cari pahala,two in one.

4. To perform a group presentation where I acted in a forum and be Datuk Dr.Mashitah Ibrahim since our name is the same. Besides,she used to be my 'mentor' before.

5. To sit for an essay-type test on the final day.

It was a one-week course as compared to now, only an hour test.

So, there were five components , where else this year the candidates have to sit for one component only, that is objective test.For this,I suppose they can just throw a dice and answer with one close eye.Or panjangkan leher sikit, and see-see lah the neighbour.How unfair!

However, all my hard work was paid off because I managed to get band 4...alhamdullilah.So when my colleagues are busy criticizing this PTK lately, I just keep my mouth shut for I have gotten through my hardest hurdle,enjoyed the raise in my salary, and now waiting to be promoted to DG 48,hopefully before the time based.What else can I say, I cant complain much!

So, dear friends, those of you who are going to resit for the test in August, study hard and wishing you all the very best.

10 comments:

Win said...

Good for you! Hope you won't mind if I put you in my blog list? - win

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks for visiting.Sure,I am delighted.

MariaFaizal said...

sis,
That's why i personally (there are sayings as well by others)feel/think/believe that pioneer batches are always the BEST!

All the obstacles/hurdles that gone thru made the success tasted sweeter as there was no short cuts to it.

i have noticed this even when i helped juniors completing their thesis or researches every now & then.When formerly i had to 'stay' in the library to read books & thousand of books for references & did not complain.all i hear now,these kiddos who obtain most of the info via internet (which i didn't get to njoy previously)is their complaints on how difficult doing the thesis is.

Cheers sis!When you're good,you know you're good :D

MariaFaizal said...

Sis,
I forgot to mention how much I like your new background.So serene...

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks Maria.Yes ,apa pun yang awal2 tu the best,genuine.Even products are like that too.Bila dah banyak sangat mula ciplak lah,no quality dll.
When I was a part time lecture pun mcm tu.The students were supposed to do business writing ,the time given for the process was 2 months.Finally they came out with a paper directly printed from the net.No quationaires that go with their research, no stamping from the candidates they interview.Nothing.Their attitude is something to be frustrated!

DrSam said...

PTK is always a hot discussion topic and subjected to endless debate.

What PTK means for me? Fun holiday!

Imagine having to spend many-many days outstation, in a hotel (being to these course twice for different grades), enjoying myself in a classroom listening to friendly lecturers, getting acquaintance with new friends from other agencies, indulging in food-eating frenzy, sleep early at night, no meeting to atttend and at the end of the day - sitting for an exam of which everybody more or less knows the answer already. Sounds like a wonderful getaway, courtesy of taxpayers' money!

Was it effective? yes - merely a few days after the course. Did it really gauge individual's competency level - nope, how could one gauge years of experience (a teacher for example) in just two weeks merely by anwering few question on paper like "what is good corporate governance and how you can apply it in your organisation?" ... A total crap I must say! A revamp to the evaluation system is a must (there is a national panel on this and I have yet to see any positive changes taking place)

That is just my personal opinion though. I, however passed with flying colors as well :)

Anyway, Congratulation to you ma'am in having a briliant assesment (4,4). If everything goes accordingly (get your well deserved promotion) and nothing much changes , you have 3 more to go!

p/s: Sorry ma'am, terpanjanglah pulak komen kali ni.

Memorable trails... said...

Thanks doc.My congrats to you too.

So, you have been through PTK twice for different grades?So fast?You must be one brilliant chap doc!Yes, three more PTKs to go but hopefully they will scrap off the whole thing.I cant agree with you more..a total crap and a waste of money.

Puziah Ahmad said...

Mashitah..PTK the controversial assessment..Actually they made the PTK much harder year by year I think...PTK 3 I attended before very enjoyable and less stressful with many group assignments..means sharing workload... Then I skipped PTK4..Later PTK5..I slept very much less than normal, tiring with the research paper through escience blah blah..the feedback was that..they made it tougher..Effective or not ..not really..research, reading, writing and presentation skill must be on going processes and then it becomes habitual thing.. I guess each organisation has different sets of assessment objectives...Alhamdulillah I passed...

BTW..soothing layout..serene..

Memorable trails... said...

Congrats Puziah.I think for teachers they make it easier now,just sit for the objective test.Thats all depend on rezeki anyway.
I didnt know we can skip PTK,can we?

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Sis,

I ponteng PTK, so kena barred. So ingatkan last March nak amik, but resignation letter dah tendered in, so to sum up, till i pencen ni, tak kesampaian pun sit for PTK..selamat..:)